Saturday, April 02, 2005

Accountability in a Christian 12-step program

I started going to a Christian 12-step program (www.celebraterecovery.com) a couple months ago and it has been a great experience. My addiction is ____________________. Maybe I'll fill in the blank later. That's not what is important in this post. Also, I don't feel comfortable right now having my addiction posted on the internet.

Anyways, in my small group, we paired up into accountability partners. We are supposed to meet weekly with our accountability partners and ask each other accountability questions that we had thought of for ourselves. For example, an alcoholic may have his partner ask, "Did you have a drink last week?" Other questions may have a religious basis. For example, "Did you read the Bible daily last week?" Basically, it allows us an opportunity to confess our sins to each other and pray for each other (James 5:16).

My small group members generally have a meal together when they meet with their partner. This accountability meeting is also a good time for fellowship, hanging out, and getting to know each other.

Since I drive an hour to the location of our meetings and I'm not willing to drive again during the week, my accountability partner and I decided to do our accountability meeting over the phone. We had our first phone meeting today in the afternoon, and I feel that it was a pretty good experience for both of us. I had a good week overcoming my addiction, so that probably had something to do with my good experience. :)

I really think this weekly accountability time will help me as I journey on the road to recovery. I know when I get tempted, I think about having to 'fess up to my partner and that helps me choose the right road.

By the way, here are some of my accountability questions:

Since our last accountability meeting...
  • did you spend time with God each day (20 minutes reading the Bible and 10 minutes praying?
  • did you waste a lot of time?
  • did you serve others?
  • did you lie to me when answering these questions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home