Friday, March 25, 2005

Joe's crazy decision

What a cool day.

JOE
Today I was talking to one of my good buddies. I'll give him the pseudonym Joe. Now Joe is pretty intelligent. However, his spiritual life goes up and down. Sometimes he's on fire for God and sometimes he's indifferent towards God. And he's had this spiritual struggle of not trusting in God especially about marriage. See, he wants to get married. And, in the past, he worried about finding the right person and getting that person to like him. It would always be a barrier to his relationship with God. But, currently, he seems to be growing closer to God.

So, we're in my place talking about different topics of life: the corporate/working world, careers, the church, our generation, ministry, family, etc. One thing I like about him is that he is gut-level honest with me. He doesn't beat around the bush. He gives his honest opinion and perspective of life.

Anyways, we're talking about these big life issues. And then, he starts telling me about this decision he's made. And it's a big decision. I won't tell you the decision for various reasons but it's a huge choice he's making. This decision basically puts him in a place in life where he must trust God in regards to marriage. He's making a decision that really makes his future uncertain and unpredictable. But he believes that this decision will bring him meaning, fulfillment, and happiness.

So, after he explains the decision, I'm kinda shocked but not too surprised. He's always been one to be creative and live differently from everyone else. And I ask him, "So what about your future? What will your future look like?" I didn't want to blatantly talk about marriage.


And he says, "Well, I'm living one day at a time."


Praise God! This is such a huge step for Joe. I don't think he realizes how much a step of faith this is. If he continues to have that attitude, he will really begin to grow spiritually.

Matthew 6:33-34 (NIV)
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home